Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Avoidance of White Starches and Sugars in Foods

My blood glucose levels have been elevated so my doctors recommended that I limit starches and sugars.  As a result, I did lose quite a bit of weight following a limited white starch and limited sugar diet.  White starches such as white bread, white potatoes and white rice are easily converted into sugars.  Sugar, of course, is found in candy, sodas, sports drinks, ice cream and processed foods as filler.  Too much white starches and sugars can lead to weight gain and more severe conditions such as diabetes. 


I have been told to simply avoid white starchy foods as well as sugar.  My doctor indicated no more than 10 grams of sugar per meal.  I did lose quite a bit of weight listening to my doctor's advice and my blood glucose levels fell.  However, I did gain half of the weight back because I was undisciplined with my eating and avoidance of starches and sugars recently.